Job title: Factory Section Leader (Housing, Education and Material Preparation)
Location: Newmarket (occasional site visits)
Reports to: Manufacturing Manager
Hours of work: Monday to Friday 0730 to 1600
Salary range: £29,000 - £35,000 dependant on experience
NetZero Buildings (NZB) is committed to developing new buildings that are higher quality, delivered faster with lower costs whilst being kind to the environment. People are at the heart of everything we do and we are responsible for achieving Zero Harm, Zero Defects and On Time Delivery In Full in all targeted areas.
The role of Section Leader is critical; planning, delivering and improving efficiency in your designated operational area. Leadership is key to this role ensuring that your team is well motivated, well deployed and working efficiently and effectively in order to reach our operational targets. As we are a high growth business we need to be flexible and adaptable rising to challenges as they come.
- The primary role of a Section Leader is to ensure they meet all Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost and Continuous Improvement targets.
- Provide a high level of leadership and line management to their team ensuring that people are motivated and adequately trained to carry out their roles. Identify and raise any resource issues before they arise and re-balance labour within your peer group and across the factory in order to keep production moving. Ensure return to work interviews are carried out after periods of sickness absence, managing leave requests to ensure that production can continue in your area. Performance management is a key requirement of this role.
- Develop your team driving improvements in individual performance supporting requirements to meet high standards whilst fostering a culture of working safely and within quality parameters.
- Ensure that all manufacturing processes and procedures are adhered to reporting any deviations to your line manager and putting in place sustaining actions to stop their re-occurrence.
- Ensure that all relevant recording and monitoring is completed in accordance with company policies with a focus on safety near miss reporting, safety behavioural observations, QA/QC checks and non-conformances. Carrying out root cause analysis and investigations where required.
- Ensure that the team are fully briefed on day to day targets and that they understand priorities.
- Monitor stock levels to maintain the correct balance of having materials available for use but without holding too much stock in the production area.
- Be a champion for 5S (sort, set in order, shine, standardise, sustain) in your area coaching your team in best practice.
- Be a champion for good housekeeping in your area. Conduct audits as required and ensure actions are closed out to maintain a high level of housekeeping in your area at all times.
- Ensure all tools and equipment in your area are clean, serviceable and ready for use in production activities.
- Ensure that all equipment requiring calibration within your area is up to date and serviceable.
- Be responsible for the training of new additions to the team in your area.
- Lead by example personally setting the standard in safety and quality never accepting compromise in these areas.
- Undertake improvement projects as directed by your line manager.
This is an outline description of the key responsibilities and accountabilities involved in the job. This is not an exhaustive list and the post-holder might be expected to undertake any other duties across the wider organisation, commensurate with level of responsibility of this post, for which the post holder has the necessary experience and/or training.
To be familiar with and comply with all NZB policies, procedures, protocols and guidelines.
Professional and Personal Development
All staff will have a formal appraisal with their manager, on an annual basis. Once performance/training objectives have been set, the individuals progress will be reviewed on a regular basis so that new objectives can be agreed and set, in order to maintain progress.
Those with management/supervisory responsibility are required to ensure that their direct reports have an appraisal.
Health and Safety
All staff have a responsibility to maintain health and safety of self and others within the performance of duties in accordance with NZB health and safety policies, and to undertake specific health and safety responsibilities as directed. All staff have a responsibility to adhere to the Risk Management Policies & Procedures.
All staff are required to contribute to the control of risk, and must report immediately any incident, accident or near miss to the NetZero Buildings Health and Safety Manager.
All staff are required to adhere to NetZero Buildings 5 point PPE standards.
Working on Non-NetZero Buildings Premises
All staff when working on non-NZB premises are bound by NZB policies and procedures.
Diversity and Promoting Dignity at Work
NetZero Buildings recognises the contribution of all employees to deliver our Business. We expect staff to value and respect diversity and to respond to the differing and diverse needs of others. We aim to have an environment free of bullying or harassment which would create an intimidating and unpleasant atmosphere impacting on staff wellbeing.
All forms of bullying and harassment are unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
- GCSE level A-C in Maths, English and a technical subject (IT, Science etc)
- Minimum 2 years experience in a supervisory role within a manufacturing environment.
- Technical qualification (BTEC, A Level, Degree etc)
- Leadership qualification (CMI Diploma for first line manager etc).
- Experience leading continuous improvement projects in a manufacturing organisation.
- Experience in root cause analysis and problem-solving techniques (5G, 5W+1H, 5Why, Kaizen etc)
- Experience in a high growth business.
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing techniques.
To apply for this role or for more information please email [email protected]