NetZero Buildings (NZB) is committed to developing new buildings that are higher quality, delivered faster with lower costs whilst being kind to the environment. People are at the heart of everything we do, and we are responsible for achieving Zero Harm, Zero Defects and On Time Delivery in Full in all targeted areas.
The role of Section Leader is critical; planning, delivering and improving efficiency in your designated operational area. Leadership is key to this role ensuring that your team is well motivated, well deployed and working efficiently and effectively in order to reach our operational targets. As we are a high growth business, we need to be flexible and adaptable rising to challenges as they come.
Job Title: Factory Section Leader
Reports to: Manufacturing Manager
Hours of work: Mon-Fri 0700-1600
Salary range: £29,000-£35,000
This is an outline description of the key responsibilities and accountabilities involved in the job. This is not an exhaustive list and the post-holder might be expected to undertake any other duties across the wider organisation, commensurate with level of responsibility of this post, for which the post holder has the necessary experience and/or training.
- The primary role of a Section Leader is to ensure they meet all Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost and Continuous Improvement targets.
- Provide a high level of leadership and line management to their team ensuring that people are motivated and adequately trained to carry out their roles.
- Identify and raise any resource issues before they arise and re-balance labour within your peer group and across the factory in order to keep production moving.
- Ensure return to work interviews are carried out after periods of sickness absence, managing leave requests to ensure that production can continue in your area. Performance management is a key requirement of this role.
- Develop your team driving improvements in individual performance supporting requirements to meet high standards whilst fostering a culture of working safely and within quality parameters.
- Ensure that all manufacturing processes and procedures are adhered to reporting any deviations to your line manager and putting in place sustaining actions to stop their re-occurrence.
- Ensure that all relevant recording and monitoring is completed in accordance with company policies with a focus on safety near miss reporting, safety behavioural observations, QA/QC checks and non-conformances. Carrying out root cause analysis and investigations where required.
- Ensure that the team are fully briefed on day to day targets and that they understand priorities.
- Monitor stock levels to maintain the correct balance of having materials available for use but without holding too much stock in the production area.
- Be a champion for 5S (sort, set in order, shine, standardise, sustain) in your area coaching your team in best practice.
- Be a champion for good housekeeping in your area. Conduct audits as required and ensure actions are closed out to maintain a high level of housekeeping in your area at all times.
- Ensure all tools and equipment in your area are clean, serviceable and ready for use in production activities.
- Ensure that all equipment requiring calibration within your area is up to date and serviceable.
- Be responsible for the training of new additions to the team in your area.
- Lead by example personally setting the standard in safety and quality never accepting compromise in these areas.
- Undertake improvement projects as directed by your line manager.
Diversity and Promoting Dignity at Work
NetZero Buildings recognises the contribution of all employees to deliver our Business. We expect staff to value and respect diversity and to respond to the differing and diverse needs of others. We aim to have an environment free of bullying or harassment which would create an intimidating and unpleasant atmosphere impacting on staff wellbeing.
All forms of bullying and harassment are unacceptable and will not be tolerated
Professional and Personal Development
All staff will have a formal appraisal with their manager, on an annual basis. Once performance/training objectives have been set, the individuals progress will be reviewed on a regular basis so that new objectives can be agreed and set, in order to maintain progress.
Those with management/supervisory responsibility are required to ensure that their direct reports have an appraisal.
Health and Safety
All staff have a responsibility to maintain health and safety of self and others within the performance of duties in accordance with NZB health and safety policies, and to undertake specific health and safety responsibilities as directed. All staff have a responsibility to adhere to the Risk Management Policies & Procedures.
All staff are required to contribute to the control of risk, and must report immediately any incident, accident or near miss to the NetZero Buildings Health and Safety Manager.
All staff are required to adhere to NetZero Buildings 5 point PPE standards.
Working on Non-NetZero Buildings Premises
All staff when working on non-NZB premises are bound by NZB policies and procedures.
To be familiar with and comply with all NZB policies, procedures, protocols and guidelines.
|Qualifications||Essential or Desirable|
|NVQ3 Modern Methods of Construction or willingness to undertake||Essential|
|Leadership qualification (CMI Diploma for first line manager etc)||Desirable|
|GCSE level A-C in Maths, English and a technical subject (IT, Science etc)||Essential|
|Experience||Essential or Desirable|
|Minimum 2 years’ experience in a supervisory role within a manufacturing environment||Essential|
|Experience leading continuous improvement projects in a manufacturing organisation||Desirable|
|Experience in an operational role within a high growth manufacturing environment||Desirable|
|Experience in root cause analysis and problem-solving techniques (5G, 5W+1H, 5Why, Kaizen etc)||Desirable|
|Experience of lean manufacturing and continuous improvement techniques||Desirable|
|Personal skills/abilities||Essential or Desirable|
|High levels of attention to detail||Essential|
|Advanced communication skills||Essential|
|Ability to travel as required||Essential|
NZB Competency Framework: Architectural Technician
|Corporate Induction||Within 1st Month||N/A||Face to face|
|Equality and Diversity||At Induction||2 years||Face to face|
|Health and Safety Awareness||At Induction||1 years||E-Learning|
|Fire Safety||At Induction||1 years||E-Learning|
|Manual Handling||At Induction||1 years||E-Learning|
|Mental Health Awareness||At Induction||2 years||Face to face|
|Appraisal Training||Within 3 months of starting||N/A||Face to face|
|Accident Reporting||At induction||Annually||Face to face|
Fairness, Inclusion and Respect
Treats everyone with respect and dignity. Openly and willingly listens to the views of others. Considers the impact of their own actions on others. Challenges inappropriate behaviour. Polite, patient and tolerant when dealing with others. Ensures processes and procedures are in place to promote fairness, inclusion and respect.
Demonstrates an interest in others and develops contacts outside of their own team. Shares own knowledge openly and freely. Proactively seeks information, resources and support from outside own team. Takes time to understand the work of other departments. Understands how actions may impact on others and actively seeks to engage with them. Listens to others and regularly checks their understanding.
Drives for results
Ensures they are clear about what is expected of them. Organises and plans their work effectively and efficiently to deal with both the expected and unexpected. Alerts colleagues to potential problems in meeting deadlines and suggests solutions. Produces work of a consistently high standard, checks own work. Looks for solutions when encountering problems. Sees tasks through to completion.
Takes responsibility for own development, reviews own performance and identifies development needs. Seeks to develop new skills and experiences. Learns from and acts on constructive feedback. Helps others by sharing own knowledge and experience. Makes effective use of the full range of development opportunities. Promotes and delivers development opportunities for staff. Ensure and promote the value of the appraisal process.
Innovation, change and agility
Is not afraid to constructively question or challenge. Demonstrates enthusiasm for change and a willingness to get involved. Readily exchanges information with others across the business. Readily contributes ideas or suggestions for improvement. Is open to new ideas and asks questions to confirm understanding. Willingly adopts own working practices to support changes.
Communication with impact
Conveys information clearly and concisely in an appropriate format. Speaks clearly and effectively to different audiences. Conveys energy and enthusiasm about their work. Asks open questions to appreciate others points of view. Confidently handles challenging conversations. Quickly puts others at ease and builds rapport.
Proactively keeps customers informed with timely and appropriate feedback. Identifies and clarifies individual customer needs. Is honest and realistic with customers. Do not over promise. Treat all customers with courtesy and respect. Resolves customer enquiries promptly only referring to others when genuinely appropriate. Apologises when services or products do not meet requirements.
Effective Decision Making
Makes effective decisions following appropriate criteria. Ask questions when unsure of correct approach. Investigates and responds to gaps in information. Undertakes appropriate analysis to support decisions or recommendations. Understands where to go and who to involve if further information is required. Thinks through implications of own decisions.
Technical/Role Specific Competencies
|Education||Essential or Desirable|
|NVQ 2 Modern Methods of Construction||Essential|
|GCSE’s Grade A-C||Essential|
|Lean Manufacturing||Understanding of lean methodology|
The qualifications listed in the job description are there to help you select the role that best fits your background and aspirations, so pay close attention and outline how you meet these requirements.
You will have an initial remote interview with either the recruiting manager, a nominated representative or HR. This is expected to last approx. 30 minutes to seek clarification on the application is required and provide information about the role.
If you progress through the remote interview you will be invited to a face to face interview with the recruiting manager and HR. You will be given to opportunity to meet colleagues and if a practical element of assessment is included you will be made aware of this at invite. Throughout the interview process, feel free to ask your interviewers for clarification. Ask questions—about the work, about the team, about the culture.
After your interviews are done, the panel review your application, interview feedback and scores, any work samples you submitted and any practical assessment undertaken. Once the recommendation for hire is complete this is finally approved by the relevant Director to provide another layer of objectivity and review.